10/05 Whittling our sticks for making stick bread ready for the following Tuesday.
Whittling is the art of carving shapes with a knife. There is something satisfying about making something from wood.
- they learn knife skills, assess and manage risk, and find it stimulating
- it can be very relaxing despite the concentration and work involved
- they are connecting with the natural environment
17/05 This week we were making bread on the whittled sticks and enjoyed it afterwards with our homemade dandelion honey. We all loved it … next time we just need to make more 😊.
Making bread is a wonderfully tactile and creative activity and it smells soooooo good. This organic experience is one that has the capacity to engage and trigger a sense of wonder in young children.
- they practice fine and gross motor skills
- it can develop communication and social confidence
- it boosts their reading and writing ability
- they have an opportunity to explore the science in cooking